Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My Eternal Disappointment

I am a member of the Mormon Church. I haven't been active, and would honestly declare myself an Athiest by today's standards, but I was baptized and am a member of record with this "religious organization."

As I've grown up, and learned to think on my own, form my own opinions, and learned to tell fact from fiction and opinion... I've decided that this belief structure is not for me. I'm not saying that Mormons are bad, or anything like that... I've met many wonderful people in my life that would identify themselves as Mormon, and are very active in the church. The great people I've met in this organization will forever be held dear to me, and the things they have done for myself and family will never be forgotten.

In the past couple of years I've reached my ultimate breaking point with the higher ranks of this "church." The other day, a very important man attached to this organization said some terribly hurtful things that I just cannot, and will not stand for.... and this coming on the heels of them inserting themselves into governmental procedures of another state? I do not wish to have my name attached to any such organization that would stand for, or support this kind of behavior. They have their right to speech and religion.... I have mine. I really have to say, shame on you. You preach love and understanding, but under that is cruel, misinformed hatred. I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

Here is a link to a few blogs and statements reflective of the quotes from this man's hurtful talk:

http://www.hrc.org/14955.htm
Here is a link to an open letter to the church that you can sign:

https://secure3.convio.net/hrc/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=945

So, I will be resigning from the Church of Ladder-day Saints, along with my children as they may be considered to be 'members of record.' I know there are a lot of people equally as upset by this as I am, and feel the same. If you would like to be removed the link below will tell you how to do so, and what to anticipate during the removal process. Not asking anyone do the same of course, but if you are interested, here is a link to the information:

http://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

2 comments:

  1. I just read your blog, and understand where you are coming from. I, while never a Mormon, did resign to the idea of religion. When I say religion, I mean the organization of laws, and beliefs written by man, and passed as divine interpretation of a higher power, organized fundamentalist creed.
    I am a strong believer of faith, but religion has taken it's toll on society, and has created a false sense of righteousness, and illusions of grandeur. I don't judge religious people, and admire the faith that they reflect, but like in all walks of life, every organized group of people have proven to have thier positive and negative aspects, and I don't thin I can be part of an organization that sets out to change people, to condemn people, or to mold people in any way. I am not going to try to change them either, but refuse to partake of their activities. ... this from a former Evangelistic Christian... (and yes, also an atheist by most fundamentally religious standards)Kudos to you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, and I agree with you completely. It's really the delusions of grandeur that get me going more than anything else. I don't understand what makes people believe that their thoughts and beliefs are more important than anothers... and why they feel the need to push that on other peoples lives.

    ReplyDelete