Thursday, February 4, 2010

My Lost Hope

I am at a complete loss on what to do, which is new territory for me, when it comes to someone else anyway. I always seem to have an answer, some advice or at the very least a witty retort when it comes to someone elses' problems. I will have to remain vague for obvious reasons...but what do you do when you see someone that is seriously struggling and you are completely powerless to help them?

She was vibrant, and amazing when we first became friends. She had ambitions, dreams, and an attitude to contend with, very close to her family and friends and very down to earth. Eight years later I see nothing left of the friend, confident, and partner in crime I had found so long ago. It seems that a handful of difficult experiences has lead her to drown herself in bad decisions, and whatever she can find that comes with a childproof lid.

As a friend, you want to be there for someone in their time in need. You want to be that shoulder to cry on, or their last resort for a ride if they need it. When does this become enabling? Am I giving them what they need to stay sick? I feel like I am watching a close friend with a terminal illness die slowly...and it is killing me. The only difference is that I know there is a cure for this, but it remains just out of reach. Everyone I talk to, gives me the same suggestion which is completely impossible at this point in time. How do you help someone that cannot, and will not help themselves alone? I guess only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment