Monday, May 24, 2010

My Worst Enemy

Ya know what really pisses me of? Heroin. Amidst all the things I have experimented with in my life, I was always adamant that I would stay away from this one in particular, because unlike the propaganda against weed, the propaganda against heroin is actually true.

Annually, our nation spends in the ballpark of 42 million dollars on the war on weed....a "drug" that isn't really ruining anything. How much do we spend on heroin? Anyone? Bueller....Bueller....? I can't even find a number. I looked everywhere, like a good little researcher but came up empty handed. I did come up with one number though....100,000,000. That's the estimated number of people that die each year from heroin (according to wiki answers). Guess how many people died from weed? Yep, zero.

Like I said earlier, I have tried a lot of things, found some addictions, cleaned myself up, kept some old favorites around for fun....but have always stayed away from heroin. All my circles of friends have kept this cancer out of our circle...until someone comes along with a pocket full of "something to do." As adamant as I've been about keeping this drug away from myself, it always finds a way to weasel it's way into my life, and hurt the people I care about. Whether or not they die from it is irrelevant....either way, it is taking their lives away, however slowly.

I have friends that have lost what semblance of life they have left, spent time in prison, been deported out of the country, lost their children, and then friends that have actually died from this disease, and ya know what? I'm fuckin' done. I am throwing my hands up, putting my foot down, and promising that I will do whatever I can to keep this disgusting, soul-suck away from the people I love.

No matter how hard I've tried to limit it's affect on my life....it has affected me IMMENSELY. Getting that phone call, or watching someones life fade away slowly is the worst thing I've had to do as a friend. Putting that needle in your vein, makes you as good as gone....you may not die from it, but your life can be fucked forever. Are you really prepared for that?

And Ryan....we may not have been the best of friends, but it's too bad it ended that way for ya. You'll be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment