Saturday, September 5, 2009

My Rebellion

Employment. It is suggested that having a job can make one feel that they are a useful part of society. So, how does one feel if they cannot find a job? Answer: like crap.

I spent the better part of the last four years climbing the corporate latter, running the corporate rat race, wondering who not only moved my cheese, but then took a flamethrower to it and roasted it to a hardened crisp....and everything between at a stuffy office job. I always felt very comfortable in my employment with that company, and to be honest- finally settled into ,what I thought at the time, was my dream job. Then, out of left field this company decided that I, as a person, was not worth their money.

The papers tell me that the job market is "challenging" right now. Maybe even more so than the ever defining depression of the thirties. Some companies are laying off, and can afford to be very picky when choosing between applicants due to the dramatic jump in options.

I am a very able bodied, well rounded applicant and consider myself quite a catch for any company. However, I was not fortunate enough to have the option to acquire a piece of paper saying I sat in a classroom for four to eight additional years learning things I will never actually need to know to succeed in any normal position.

Right now, I find myself competing with people that have associates degrees, bachelors degrees, and in some instances doctorates which are applying for data entry, and customer service jobs. I simply cannot compete with that. I actually came across a posting on a job board the other day where the employer was requiring a two year associate degree for a receptionist job. I am sure that extra training will come in handy when they get themselves in a tight spot playing tetris between transferring phone calls.

I have applied for hundreds of jobs in the past six months. I have only had TWO interviews. My resume was once considered quite impressive, but may as well contain only four to five words because apparently no one is reading it. With this in mind, I have made some small adjustments to my resume that I feel appropriately represent me. Please see example below.

____________________________________________________










My worth as a person
cannot be contained
to a single sheet of paper.



Please call for interview ###-###-####





________________________________________

1 comment:

  1. ROFLAMO! You go girl! Love it!

    Your hired! Well to entertain me that is. MWAH!

    ReplyDelete